3.07.2011

Mangia! Mangia!

A few weeks back, I saw Chicken Cacciatore on a menu but didn't order it, and since then I have not been able to stop thinking about it.  Yesterday's gloomy weather set the stage for a hearty home-cooked Sunday dinnah like the ones I grew up with. 

I adapted liberally from Ree's Chicken Cacciatore recipe posted here.  I imagine this recipe is DELICIOUS just the way it is, however I don't have a house full of children/cow-wranglers to feed so I halved it and made a few additional changes:

* I reduced the amount of flour for dredging to 3 tbsp because I didn't want a very thick coating, if you are looking for more of a "fried chicken" type coating, use more flour and dredge baby, dredge. 

*I also subbed fresh thyme for the ground stuff, added more turmeric than called for, and subbed cayenne pepper for red pepper flakes as that's what I had on hand. 

*If you like a little kick, add the cayenne pepper when you salt'n'pepa your chicken, we didn't get much heat from it's addition to the peppers and onions.


*More wine the better!  I used a 1/2 cup for the halved recipe, and pour yourself a glass, you deserve it  (hiccup).

*For a half recipe, reduce the cook time to 35-40 minutes with the cover and 10 minutes topless, hehe.


If you can believe it, this dish is hearty but also surprisingly light if you don't overdue it on the pasta (i.e. ignore the carbfest depicted above, that's hubbie's plate.  They didn't call him 'Pastaman' in college for nothing) and skip the garlic bread, but what fun is that? 

The leftovers the next day are pretty killer too!  Eat up!


1 comments:

Unknown said...

ah, the pioneer woman. leah loves that blog. I forgot about it! I will probably add that to my recipe-finding database ;)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, sweet readers! Your comments and suggestions make my day!