How were all your weekends? Mine was lovely and unexciting, just the way I wanted it. Saturday morning we grabbed bagels and coffees and headed to our local farmer's market where we bought pretty much everything in sight. Our fridge has been barren for weeks. Today, I threw together a couple of grain-based salads to spice up my green salads this week. This first one was a bit risky for me, as lentils have never been my favorite. I figured mixing them with favorites like celery, grapes and feta could change my mind...and so it did. Here's the recipe if you are so inclined to try it!
Cast of Characters:
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 3/4 brown lentils
- 3 ribs of celery (the recipe called for 1, but I love crunch so I added extra)
- 1 1/2 cups of red grapes, sliced
- 3/4 cup of walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 sprigs (2 tsp) of thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese (I used one handful)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (I used half a lemon)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (I used lemon infused, delicious!)
- 1 1/2 tsp honey ( I read this as tbsp, totally fine)
- Coarse salt and pepper
1. In a small sauce pan, bring 2 1/2 cups of salted water to a boil. Add lentils when water reaches a rolling boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Drain lentils and run under cool water. Set aside.
2. Toast walnuts on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool and chop, set aside.
3. Slice grapes and celery, chop thyme and crumble feta. Set aside.
4. In a medium size bowl, combine red wine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, honey and whisk together.
5. Add lentils, grapes, celery, walnuts, thyme and feta in the bowl with dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Enjoy! I did and will continue to do so all week. This salad is sweet and crunchy, tangy and salty. With whole grains and 10g of protein per serving, this is a great addition to your lunch bag and will keep you full through the 2pm slump. As someone who does not eat enough protein during the day, I will definitely be including this in my mid-day meal all week.