1.27.2012

Fashionista vs. Frugalista - Doting on Dots

It's been awhile since I did a Fashionista vs. Frugalista post but we booked a vacation to Aruba for the end of February so now I'm constantly thinking about umbrella drinks, beaches and resort wear. While browsing the web for warm weather wardrobe inspiration (say that three times fast) I happened across these amazing Marc by Marc Jacob shorts.

Marc by Marc Jacobs Hot Dots Short  via Nordstrom

I have a love/hate relationship with shorts because my legs are so short but these are pretty darn cute. I really like that the length is not super short.  So what's the catch?  They come it at $228.  As adorable as they are, they are only shorts and that seems a little steep.  
Free People Dot Staying Cool Short via Lyst.com
I found a more budget-friendly pair of Free People shorts on sale at Bluefly. This pair is more flowy than the pair above and may actually be a skort based on the description?  While I haven't worn a skort in many years, I do love skirts for summer so maybe these are worth a try? They are $34.99! 

Marc by Marc Jacobs Hot Dots blouse via Nordstrom
I have wanted a tie-blouse all season but have yet to find one I love but this one? I adore. Polka dots are just the happiest print to me!  Anyway, I also love the Marc by Marc Jacobs blouse in the same Hot Dots pattern as the shorts above but this shirt has the same price tag as those shorts.  $228 big smackers.  

Halogen Sleeveless Blouse via Nordstrom
While browsing Nordstrom's website further I came across this Halogen top for $52.00.  The dots are smaller and not as pronounced as the Marc Jacobs version but its 1/4th the price and has a very similar shape.

So what do you think?  Do these pieces bring out your inner fashionista or frugalista?  What's on your crave list right now?

14 comments:

Karen said...

It amazes me that you're able to find such similar styles at completely different prices.

silvergirl said...

i actually like the second pair of shorts better
please don't put them in the "skort" category!!!!
:)brett

Audrey @ Putting Me Together said...

These are soooo cute! I love polka dots! And a polka dot tie blouse? YES, PLEASE. You found some great, less expensive options!

Audrey
www.puttingmetogether.com

Van @ The Clothes We Wear said...

YES! To polka dotted shorts. I was obsessed with a pair that I bought at Marshall's last summer and wore them layered under sheer skirts and light tunics for a fun touch of pattern. Dots are classic and will never go outta style.

yummychunklet said...

I like the polka dots but I love the black shoes in the second look!

Court said...

I guess it just cost more to make large dots. ;) I like the shirt the best.

Jessica said...

I love polka dots! Those shorts are awesome. Great frugalista finds! :)

xx Jessica

Sage said...

You're going to Aruba!!! Stuff me in your suitcase and take me with you!

I've never found shorts that fit me just right. I stick to skirts when the temperature rises. I also like easy jersey cotton dresses for vacations.

skippysays said...

Those shorts are so freaking fantastic! And I love how you found such a great version for so much cheaper- that's my girl :)
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

Claire said...

seriously love the polka dots! can't wait til i'm no longer in maternity clothes so i can buy some cute shorts like those!

http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

As much as I adore Mr Marc Jacobs, I have to say I'd go with the Halogen brand top from Nordstrom (I actually own several of their tops) and the Free People shorts. Just throw on a cute pair of wedges to give your legs a little extra oomph & you'll be good to go!!

Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I think darling number you find at Nordstrom is a perfect alternative!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

I think the Free People ones are the WINNER! Smaller dots too. I love polka dots! Ooooh Cara! Take plenty of pics. Aruba will be wonderful girl. Enjoy! ((HUG))
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Unknown said...

Aruba? Wow that will be an amazing trip! I love the frugal shorts- they would be great paired with wedges! P.S. Am loving your new blog layout!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, sweet readers! Your comments and suggestions make my day!