1.08.2012

Sweet, Sweet Sunday: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I know its cruel to post a cookie recipe in early January but I did my best and waited until the beginning of the second week of the year to share. I considered sitting on this recipe for longer but Jamie loved them, and he's quite the dessert critic, so I knew it was too good not to share.  If you resolved to avoid such treats, file this recipe away until you have a cookieful occasion.  If not, make these immediately, they are AWESOME!  Quick, easy, chewy and not overly sweet.  I followed this recipe with a few minor adjustments based on some of the reviews of it.


Cast of Characters
1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup of light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp of vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour*
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp of salt*
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I opted out)

*The original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of flour but I found the dough very sticky, so I added a 1/4 cup more.  The original recipe calls for 1 tsp of salt, but apparently that created salty results for some.  One-fourth of a teaspoon worked well for both mine and Jamie's tastes, subtly salty but not overly so. If you generally cook with salted butter, you may want to omit the additionally salt entirely.

1) Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.


2) Combine softened butter, brown sugar and white sugar in a stand mixer and mix until smooth.


3) Add eggs one at a time, and then add vanilla extract to the butter/sugar mixture.

4) Sift together flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl.  Slowly add these ingredients to the butter/sugar/egg mixture and stir until combined.


FYI - I love this Pampered Chef Dry/Liquid Measuring Cup
5) Add the oats and chocolate chips and mix slowly to the batter, mix until just combined.  Be careful not to over mix these cookies, apparently over mixing causes them to flatten out during baking.


6) Using a cookie scoop or large tablespoons, drop large(r) mounds of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets.  With a cookie scoop I yielded 36 large cookies.


7) Bake at 325 degrees for 12-13 minutes or until barely brown on the sides.  Cool 1-2 minutes on the sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


Once cool, enjoy with a glass of cold milk.  I dare you to eat just one.  Both Jamie and I were supposed to take some to work since the recipe made so many, but in the end we couldn't part with them; they were too good to share (sorry Corey, you'll get some next weekend!)

Have you indulged in a sweet treat this year, or are you holding strong?  Obviously we've been eating cookies, but the 25 miles last week make it OK, right?  :)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a little bit cruel, but these cookies look too delicious to resist!

xoxo

Viktoria said...

Yum!! I actually made my first batch of sugar cookies EVER this past week. My sister is a pastry chef and I do a fair share of baking, but never have I had homemade sugar cookies! Crazy, right? Next weekend I have plans to make peanut butter banana bread. That's sort of healthy, right? ;)

Court said...

I made some homemade energy bars today, with honey and peanut butter in them, I'd say they are pretty sweet. I have one of those pampered chef measuring things (it was a gift), but I barely ever use it... maybe I should give it another shot!

Cara said...

Viktoria, please share the PB Banana Bread recipe, that sounds absolutely up my alley!

Court, those energy bars sound awesome. The measuring cup is perfect for things that are hard to get out of the measuring cup like peanut butter, honey, corn syrup, molasses. I like it cause I can flip it back and forth, i.e. I'm lazy and don't like washing multiple measuring cups if I can avoid it.

Lisa said...

Those cookies sound totally yummy. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

Kassi said...

Those look so tasty! I love a good oatmeal cookie. :) Thanks for sharing what recipe you used!

http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

Josie said...

I'm ALWAYS looking for a flat, chewy oatmeal-chocolate-chip cookie! They're my ideal. I can't wait to give these a shot!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Erin @ Currently Coveting said...

Holy deliciousness. These look perfect!

XO,
Erin
http://erinscurrentlycoveting.blogspot.com

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

These look scrumptious! I love oatmeal & chocolate chips!

Sage said...

Drool.... A "cookieful occasion"? Every day is reason enough to eat cookies! :) These look so good. I end up keeping the cookies I make too--I'm so bad at sharing.

silvergirl said...

oatmeal raisin are my absolute favorite cookies
i will have to give this recipe a try soon
brett

A Very Sweet Blog said...

I just finished eating a slice of lemon cake! LMAO Cara, these look so good. I don't blame you for not sharing them with your co-workers. HAHA Love your red kitchenaid blender! SUPER NICE! :D

http://averysweetblog.com/

The Sweet Cupcaker said...

yum!!!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, sweet readers! Your comments and suggestions make my day!