7.24.2012

Blueberry Crisp Recipe

My mother-in-law and I had dinner over the weekend and she made a great summer meal full of fresh ingredients.  The crown jewel in a simple, yet delicious seasonal meal was this blueberry crisp she pulled out for dessert.  It's a Martha Stewart recipe that my mother-in-law (and I) tweaked just slightly.


Ingredients
Filling:
- 3 pints of blueberries
-1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats (If you want a lot of topping, increase to 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (my mother-in-law and I used walnuts)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, soft
- 1/3 cup of sugar

1) Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.


2) Combine all filling ingredients together and mix in with the blueberries.  Pour the filling covered blueberries into an 8x8" baking pan, or you can split into two bread loaf pans (I did this.)


3) For the topping, cream together butter and sugar. Combine flour, oats, nuts and baking powder and then add to the butter/sugar mixture.  Pour over the top of the blueberries.


4) Bake for one hour.

5) Serve warm on its own or a la mode.
So happy to have my good camera back for the tasting of this crisp
This is a really simple and delicious crisp.  I like that it is not overly sweet, the tartness of the berries is definitely apparent in this recipe.  The crunch of the walnuts is a nice twist.   I will be  making this again but will be adding in some ripe peaches!

What are your favorite summer foods?  Peaches, blueberries, corn and tomatoes are my favorites (to name a few) :D

13 comments:

Angelyn said...

Looks delicious!!

Court said...

I love crisps but haven't tried making a blueberry one. I think I will!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Cara, it looks really good! I've never had it before. Mmmm, i love peaches and you're right that would be a very nice combination. Your mother in law sounds awesome.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

two birds said...

yum!!! i want to go home and make this tonight!

Elana said...

Mmm...this looks delicious! I love all the lighter foods for summer. I've been eating a lot of cantaloupe, tomatoes, and putting avocado in everything!

k said...

that looks so good!

The Sweet Cupcaker said...

oh yum!! it looks delicious!!

welldressedmaker said...

yummy yum yum, Cara. This looks so delicious! My favorite summer foods are tomatoes and corn. And, for some reason, cabbage. It tastes so sweet!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

Midwest Muse said...

I would like this right now.

Fash Boulevard said...

omg, this looks beyond yummy. Fabulous post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest trend report & post for LaurenConrad.com xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

silvergirl said...

looks delish and i am already hungry!!
going to the kitchen right now....
brett

Loulou said...

mmmm, I'll be trying this. Looks and sounds delicious!

Loulou

Unknown said...

this looks delicious! a nice switch from blueberry pie :)
tiffany
www.hydrangeasandhandbags.com

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, sweet readers! Your comments and suggestions make my day!