10.01.2012

A Few Good Reads: Third Edition

Insert lame "I'm busy" excuse here. What can I say, juggling my workload and teaching duties is proving more time consuming than planned. I don't have the time to write or read blogs as much as I would like but luckily I still have a long commute to read books on.  Here's a few books I've loved recently.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I'm fairly certain you've heard of this one by now. It's a total thriller with a few twists and turns that are hard to predict.  I found it hard to put down as it was well written and quite detail-oriented. It's a great book club read as there's plenty to discuss between the gender roles and symbolism found throughout. My only negative would be I found the ending to be a bit of a cop-out, I wanted the author to make a stronger statement with the ending but I heard that she struggled with it, and that makes sense to me.


Talking with my Mouth Full - Gail Simmons

We're huge Top Chef fans in this house and while I knew who Tom and Padma were before the show, Gail always alluded me, and perhaps I was jealous of her job as a professional eater.  Her autobiography is actually quite interesting! She's worked far more restaurant jobs than I was aware of, loves simple foods and is quite funny.  If you're gearing up for the new season (November!!) this is a quick and easy read to get you back in the knife-packing mode.


The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls 

I am not finished with this memoir from 2005 but if you have not picked this one up yet, please do so! This book chronicles the upbringing of the author, Jeannette Walls in a totally crazy, very impoverished family situation.  It's beautifully written and sets the scene of life in the desert and then in Welch, WV.  As the reader, I have so much empathy for these children and their childhoods while also having so much frustration and anger for their parents.  I can't wait to see how it all pans out!

Have you read anything great lately?  

9 comments:

A Very Sweet Blog said...

hey cara! life can get hectic crazy, so i understand. your life comes first. blogging will always be here. blog when you have time :) that first book look intriguing. i hate when the ending doesn't turn out right. hahaha i just ordered a couple of books. going to read them and then do a giveaway. so look for it in the next week or so. harrod's definitely needs to come to the US and work their magic. LOL have a great week doll!
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Unknown said...

I love seeing other people's reading lists. I just finished Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin. It's the sequel to The Happiness Project. I'm all about finding easy ways to live a happier life. :)

Erica said...

Great post! I'm always looking for an interesting new read ; )
www.poolovesboo.com

welldressedmaker said...

ooooh I wish I had more time to read! I am slowly rereading LOTR Two Towers right now and a couple of comic book trades as well!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

Unknown said...

i hear ya on the life is busy part! i can only imagine working full time AND teaching - it must get very hectic trying to juggle between everything! i heard Gone Girl was a great read and am looking forward to starting it :)
tiffany
www.hydrangeasandhandbags.com

Anonymous said...

Great tips in this post:) I thank you for so sweet words on my blog:)

Be sure to check out my posts this week..Its all about my divine trip to sweet France:)

have a great day dear

LOVE Maria

k said...

i've been meaning to read glass castle for forever now! i love reading. i've seen a few posts lately about books, i think everyone is getting in to the fall mood :)

Nicole Rene said...

I realllly need to read Gone Girl! It's on my to-read list!!!

xoxo, Nicole Rene
Simply Savannah

silvergirl said...

i am working my way through the "game of thrones" books. i am currently on #5. those babies are LONG
brett

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, sweet readers! Your comments and suggestions make my day!